1. Lecturers working in universities/ colleges that are included under Section 2 (f) of UGC Act, even though they may not yet be fit to be included under Section 12 (B), are invited to participate in Ops and RCs. Teachers of colleges that do not yet come within the purview of Section 2 (f), but have been affiliated to a university for at least two years, will be permitted to participate in the programs/ courses.
2. For the Orientation Programmes, newly appointed lecturers up to six years of continuous service and all those teachers who require orientation for getting a higher grade will be allowed. Attendance should be a condition for confirmation and the same course will be counted for promotion to a senior scale.
3. For the Refresher Courses, participation in the Orientation Programme is a prerequisite for admission. However, in exceptional cases a teacher may be allowed to complete a Refresher Course prior to completion of an Orientation Programme. Also, there should be a minimum gap of one year between two courses, though it may be relaxed if an adequate number of participants is not available or it is essential for the teacher to fulfill eligibility conditions for career advancement.
4. The Orientation Programme will be of four weeks duration, with minimum of 24 working days (excluding Sundays) and 144 contact hours (6 hours a day). The Refresher Course will be three week duration with minimum of 18 working days (excluding Sundays) and 108 contact hours (six hours a day). If a participant fails to complete the requisite contact hours in a program, he may be permitted to make up for the backlog hours at own cost in another programme by the ASC concerned.
5. Part time/ Ad hoc/ temporary/ contract teachers who have been teaching for at least three academic sessions in an institution which has been affiliated to a University for at least two years may be permitted to participate in Orientation Programme /Refresher Course to enhance their skills.
6. Universities and colleges will allow interested teachers to attend UGC-ASC programs based on their eligibility. Otherwise valid reasons will have to be intimated to the teacher concerned, as the courses organized for their teachers will ultimately benefit the university and college. Temporary arrangements in place of teachers deputed for such courses may be made by internal adjustment if required. Refresher courses during the period of Teacher’s Fellowship: Teacher’s fellowships as well as RCs/OP are meant for professional development. A teacher interested in attending Refresher Courses (as per the requirements of career advancement) during the period of fellowship should not be denied the opportunity as it supplements his/ her professional development. Therefore, UGC has decided to permit fellows to attend a Refresher Course provided:
- He/ She Surrenders living expenses for the period he /she is attending the Refresher Course, and agrees to submit to the ASC an undertaking to this effect through the concerned research centre before joining the courses.
- Refresher Course is attended in the subject that is relevant to his / her research.
- No extension in the teacher fellowship is sought on these grounds.